Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Running and Ice Cream Will Solve All of Your Problems

It’s Not My Fault If You Choose To Follow My Husband’s Advice
Issue #1

Running and Ice Cream Will Solve All of Your Problems

After some races I get to talking with people and my goofy advice always comes out. And just recently, I decided that I would like to share why my advice isn’t as goofy as one might think.

But I feel like I should preface this and every article that I write with one my wife’s favorite sayings at races: “It’s not my fault if you choose to follow my husband’s advice.”

Feeling sick? Headache? Lonely? Depressed? Anxious? Tired? Hungry? Stressed out? Getting over a bad break up? Don’t want to get out of bed? Overworked and underappreciated? No coffee? Frustrated? Kids driving you crazy?

Whatever it is, running can solve it. You might not be at a time in your life when physical activity is as easy as it was when you were 15, but that’s ok. You gotta start somewhere. Go outside. Walk. Jog. Run. Whatever you want to call it is fine. Just go out and do it. You might only be able to go for 10 minutes before you call it quits. Maybe you can’t run 3 miles without walking. So what! Don’t make excuses. Just get outside and do what you can. Don’t hurt yourself by pushing yourself to limits that shouldn’t be explored for several months or years down the road. But go outside and do what you can. It doesn’t matter if it’s in some beautiful forest or your favorite hiking trail or on the sidewalk around your neighborhood block. Getting outside and running (or whatever) will help with the problem. I won’t tell you how. You get to figure that part out only if you make the commitment to yourself to consistently get outside and run. Don’t take any headphones or music. They won’t help you solve your problem. Go out and just run. Do it several times a week. Make it a priority. Find your answers. And since you’re out running, you might as well reward yourself with some ice cream. Don’t make it boring vanilla either, unless you’re having a rootbeer float. Try rocky road unless you’re allergic to nuts. Then just give it to me.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, running is the best. If you're lucky you might find yourself running 50 miles with some of the best strangers you've ever met! ;)

    ReplyDelete