Wednesday, July 4, 2018

How Do You Get to Work?

A year ago I was kinda forced into a horrible situation. My wife was at work and wouldn't be able to take me to work in the morning. Here's the story and why I'm a better person because of it.

Back in my other life when I was a teacher, I biked to work. It was 10 miles round-trip and 6 miles round-trip for the two schools I worked for. It allowed us to have just one car. My students would ask why I didn't drive. Was it to save the planet? Get exercise? Save money on gas? My answer was always yes. But the real reason is because I'm cheap and I don't like being like everyone else. What family only has one car? It makes me different.

When I switched careers, Amy woke up early to take me to work and would then go back to bed. We did this for about six months. I really was wanting to up my mileage but sometimes (meaning always) I'd feel too lazy and would only end up doing much less than I felt like I should be doing. Last year I worked on July 4th. We were going to have our families up at the station and that involved Amy not working that night. She worked the night before instead. The dilemma arose as to how I was going to get to work. I could bike, but I always worried about getting flat tires. And then it hit me and the problem was solved.

I mapped out my course that I would follow to run to work. Almost 10 miles. Then to figure out my pace so I would know how early I'd need to leave. Then to add on my shaving and getting ready for the day. We got a plastic tote that I could leave my clothes and all inside so that I could shower when I got to work.

I have run 86 times to work (best schedule ever!) over the last year. Rain, windy, hurricane, thunderstorm, hot, cold, whatever. I wake up at 3:30 a.m. and leave my house at 4:00 to run 10 miles to work. I love it. It has made me more determined when the sucky moments arise in my races and the voices tell me to quit.

Thanks to my sponsors that provide my necessary gear. Nathan for the Peak waist pak that holds not only water (since it's nice and hot even at 4 am here) but also my phone and mp3 player. Also for my favorite handlight, the Zephyr Fire 300.   AfterShokz for the headphones that 1) don't block any outside noises so I can still hear cars and other stuff around me but also 2) have already survived many sweaty hours and still work great. Altra for my new favorite shoes. I've put tons of miles on them and they still feel wonderful. DryMax socks for some pretty cool foot protection. I haven't had blisters yet. Victory Sportdesign for bags to organize my extra clothes that I leave at work. And Trail Toes for anti chaffing cream to keep my thighs happy after running in the heat and humidity.


No comments:

Post a Comment