Thursday, June 7, 2018

Don’t Get Hurt

It’s Not My Fault If You Choose To Follow My Husband’s Advice
Issue #4

Don’t Get Hurt

This seems to go without saying. But some people just go and do it anyway. And there are several aspects that go into making sure you don’t get hurt.*

  1. Don’t go fast  When a course has some slightly to horrendously technical sections, going fast is the best way to go if you want to hurt yourself. You’ll move a loose rock you just stepped on more than at a slower pace; you’ll have too much momentum going when you hit that little divot that rolls your ankle; you'll be kissing rocks with your knees or your face when you trip and fly ten feet. Just don't go fast. Run slow. 
  2. Choose the longest distance  If your race has multiple distances to choose from, choose the longest. That way you won’t be able to go fast. And if you do, you won’t for long. And if you don’t go fast, you won’t get hurt. I’m not saying you won’t trip and fall, but it won’t be as bad as that fast guy falling.
  3. Drink lots of water  I once made the mistake of not taking water with me for the last 40 miles of a 100-mile race because the temperature was dropping that night. I would drink at the aid stations, but didn’t have my pack with me for continuous hydration. I finished with an amazing time and place. However, when I was done chatting with friends post-race, I was ready to go to bed and got up only to pass out. Then again. Then my wife took me to the emergency room to get some fluids put back in me. I wasn’t seriously hurt, but I wouldn’t ever recommend going long without having a good water supply with you. It’s not worth the risk.
  4. Wear short shorts  Some people haven’t heard the secret of wearing shorty shorts. I won’t be the one to spill the beans, but you should definitely try it. It’s worth it.
  5. Don’t follow a training plan  They’re dumb. That’s all I have to say about them for now.


*This is not an all-inclusive list. It also may be an over-inclusive list or insanely under-inclusive.

No comments:

Post a Comment