Friday, June 29, 2018

Tapering is a Sin

It’s Not My Fault If You Choose To Follow My Husband’s Advice
Issue #6

Tapering is a Sin

I always read people’s week-before-a-race comments about how they need to cut down the miles and make sure their body is all ready for the race. And I guess if you’re an elite pro, that might be kinda important. But for the rest of us, why are you killing yourself on all those other weeks? Enjoy your “training” (happy Marc?). Run nice and easy all the time and you have no need for prepping for a race because you’re already ready.

Here’s what I do the week before a race:

  • Run every day- however much and for however long I feel is good
  • Don’t eat anything new/weird that I don’t know how my body is going to respond to it
  • Try to sleep a lot all week (especially if I know I’m gonna be up all night racing)
  • Cut my toenails about a week before the race (so they’re not sore from cutting them too short)
  • Make a list of the things I will/might need during the race and after the race (it sucks when you start freezing post-race due to calorie deficiencies and you only brought tank tops and shorts cause it’s hot outside)
  • Charge all my head/hand lights (or bring spare batteries)
  • Double check that I am bringing my water pack
  • Make sure I have directions to the park
  • Sleep in a tent at the park the night before the race so I don’t have far to go in the morning and can sleep all night
  • Don’t get hurt (see Issue #4)
  • Make sure your family comes to the race


No comments:

Post a Comment