Sunday, September 20, 2015

Racing Season is just 2 WEEKS AWAY!

The start of racing season is quickly approaching in the Great State of Texas. In years past, it wasn’t until the end of October. But with Trail Racing Over Texas adding a few extra races into the mix, I have two weeks until the fun begins.

October 3 is Blazing 7’s. There’s a 100k, 50k, 25k, and 10k. Basically a race for everyone. I’ve never been to this place, but it sounds like it’s going to be a nice and relaxing trail to run 100k.

The next weekend is my daughter’s birthday party. Luckily for her I don’t have a race that weekend or her party might have been at an aid station. (I’m sure she would understand when she gets older.)

October 17 is Jackalope Jam. There’s a 6-hour, 12-hour, and a 24-hour timed race. The course is a 1-mile loop, and as I will be competing in the 24-hour race (despite all efforts of my wife to only run the 12-hour since I’ll be running Cactus Rose the following week), I am planning on completing well over 100 loops.

October 24 is the bastard Cactus Rose 100. And if you’ve ever run it, you know exactly what I’m talking about. It may not have mountain elevation changes, but it will tear you a new one by the time you’re done, whether that’s actually finishing or you decide to drop. There's also a 50-miler (which is waaaay easier than the 100-miler) and a 4x25-mile relay. This will be my fifth time running the race and I’m looking forward to running with a friend that I recently met (Julie Koepke) at a hellacious race (Habanero Hundred) as well as some other Team TROT teammates after they finish the Hill Country RAGNAR trail race a few miles away. I’m also looking forward to finishing it as I’ll be receiving my 500-mile jacket. This also marks the beginning of my fourth Tejas 300. AND this weekend is also my wife’s birthday party. For the last five year’s she’s been kind enough to celebrate her birthday by being my crew chief all day long. I even got her to pace me for 20 miles as a date when the race was actually on her birthday. At least the kids will be at home with grandma for the weekend.

I had planned on running Big Cedar Endurance Run 100 as well. But since I would already have run almost 300 miles (not including whatever I’ll run in training), my wife helped me realize that I couldn’t run every race. I was kinda sad about it for awhile.  I really liked the course last year (minus the rain that made the course interesting, to say the least). We’ll see if we can at least stop by to help out or pace someone and then let the crazy kids trick-or-treat that night.





No comments:

Post a Comment